Tuesday, May 13, 2008

You Decide: Frugal, cheap or innovative challenge?

About a month ago, my left click button on my optical mouse started to misfire. I tried adjusting the speed settings, but still nearly every time I single clicked - the mouse gave me a double click or something in between. The mouse is 4 to 5 years old and was inexpensive – maybe $10 bucks. I could replace it, but instead I switched the left and right click buttons using the control panel. I have a number of reasons to hang on to this mouse:

  • I don’t want to spend money on a new one,
  • I don’t want to spend time shopping,
  • I dislike throwing things out that still have some functionality,

and the best rationale of all,

  • I figured it would be a good exercise for my brain.

Every time I get ready to click I must think about which button to hit. After a few times, it becomes natural. But then I go to work and use another computer which has the opposite click setup and I get to exercise a little more. From what I have gathered, this type of thing is a great stimulus for the brain. Introducing new and different skills or motor movements helps keep the mind fresh and sharp. Some other suggestions that I have tried include switching hands while brushing teeth, or using a fork with the opposite hand or even walking backwards.

It’s one of those exercises that brings you back to the present. You must think about what it is you are doing right now. I can almost feel the cogs turning in my head. LOL

1 comment:

  1. I applaud your efforts at brain exercise and salvaging your mouse, but I think in this case it's probably best to replace your mouse when you consider the productivity cost.

    Assuming it takes you about 5 minutes to get really comfortable with using the mouse with it's buttons reversed, and then back again, that could be as much as 10 minutes a day in speed lost going from your home mouse to your office mouse and back again. Taken for a week, that could be 50 minutes in lost productivity, which when compared to your salary on an hourly basis, is worth much more than a new $10 mouse. =)

    ReplyDelete