Friday, March 7, 2008

You Must File 2007 Tax Return to get Tax Stimulus

This seems like a no-brainer, but the IRS is about to send out a notice explaining this and a few other key points concerning the stimulus package. You can get a preview of the notice, here. The notice also states that the one-time payments will start coming out in May and if you qualify you will not have to do anything, except file a 2007 tax return. The IRS will do all the rest, such as: determine eligibility, the stimulus amount and mailing it. This notice should appear in your mailbox soon, followed by another notice shortly before the payment is made.

I suspect the IRS may have one of the best turnouts ever for 2007 tax filings. And according to this article, filing taxes may help avoid deportation and tip the scales in favor of citizenship for illegal workers. How ironic is that, given the recent hoopla surrounding the Senate’s efforts to bar illegal aliens from receiving a stimulus check? It appears illegals may benefit from this stimulus after all.

For more interesting reading, be sure to visit the Carnival of Total Mind and Fitness at Fitbuff. My article “Cycling’s silent but potentially ominous threat to your skeleton” was included this week.


  1. Actually that's something you "should" consider, but it really wasn't written anywhere - good call...

  2. The only place that I have seen the requirement for a 2007 tax return was in the IRS notice (link above) that is about to come out.